10 mins to prepare
15-20 mins to cook
- 16 - Uncooked langoustines or king prawns
- 2 - Carrots
- 1 - Fennel bulb
- 2 - Onions, peeled
- 2 - Cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 - Leek
- 2 - Star anise
- 1 - Tablespoon of tomato puree
- 2 - Tablespoons of pastis, or Pernod
- 125ml - White wine
- 1 pinch - Smoked paprika
- 2 - Pink Lady® apples
- 5 - Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 pinch - Sea salt
- 1 pinch - Freshly ground pepper
- 1 - Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 - Fresh dill to garnish
- 6 - Slices of Pink Lady apples to garnish
- Take the heads off the langoustines (or king prawns if using), then peel the shells off them, reserving the heads and shells for the bisque. Cover the prepared langoustines and place them in the fridge.
- To make the bisque, peel and chop all of the vegetables into even sized dice; heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan until it smokes and add the langoustine (prawn) heads and shells and fry them over a high heat until they turn pink.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the langoustine heads and shells and fry for 4 to 5 minutes until they are tinged with a brown. Add the pastis (Pernod) and flambé over a high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the white wine and tomato puree and pour in enough water to just cover the ingredients.
- Cook the bisque for 30 minutes and then pass the ingredients through a sieve to extract all the liquid. Season to taste with smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and set to one side until needed.
- Prepare the apple and artichoke garnish (mirepoix): trim the artichokes and peel them with a vegetables peeler to remove all of the brown skin. Cut the apples in half and core them, and then chop the apples and artichokes very finely into small dice of the same size.
- Fry the apples and artichokes in a little olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are golden brown but still retain a bite.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and add the langoustines, fry them until they have changed colour and are cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes maximum.
- To serve: Gently re-heat the bisque in a saucepan, do not boil. Spoon the apple and artichoke mirepoix garnish in the middle of a soup bowl or deep dish and arrange the pan-fried langoustines on top. Pour the bisque around the apples, artichokes and langoustines and garnish with a slice of Pink Lady® apple and some fresh dill.