60 - 75 minutes to prepare
50 - 60 minutes to cook
- 1 - favourite pie dough recipe, enough for a double crust (or store-bought)
- 1/2 - lemon
- 5-6 - Pink Lady® apples
- 3 tbsp - honey
- 2 tbsp - flour
- 1 1/2 - cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp - nutmeg
- 1 tbsp - butter
- 1 - Egg wash (or vegan milk)
- Roll out pastry for bottom crust and place in pie tin. Gently trim to edge. Chill.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cut out a large heart. It is easiest to get a "clean" edge if the pastry is still cool. If it has warmed up, allow to chill in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Cut out small hearts from scraps and, using an egg wash (or vegan milk), create an overlapping border around the edge of the pie, pressing gently so that they are well attached. Chill for 15 - 20 minutes (or until you are ready to complete the pie).
- Cut 3 - 4 of the apples into small chunks and place in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon (reserving some for the top layer of apples), honey, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Place in pie shell and dot with butter. Return pie to fridge.
- Slice remaining 1 - 2 apples into thin, even slices (2 - 3 mm thick) and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Arrange apple slices in an overlapping circle on the top of the chopped apples and place a couple of slices in the middle, so that the top of the pie is relatively flat.
- Place the large cut out heart on top of the apples and chill the pie in the freezer for 15 minutes, so the pastry is quite firm.
- While the pie is chilling, preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove pie from freezer and brush pastry sparingly with egg wash (or vegan milk).
- Place pie on a baking sheet and put in oven at 400F for 10 minutes. Rotate and reduce temperature to 350F for 30 - 45 minutes, until pastry is nicely browned and apples are soft (you can check this with a toothpick or the top of a sharp knife). If the pastry is browning too quickly, create a collar out of foil to protect it.
- Remove pie from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Melt 1 tbsp honey and lightly brush apple slices to create a shiny finish.