30 minutes to prepare
40 minutes to cook
Serves 6 - 8
- 1-2 - Pink Lady® apples
- 3 - firm plums
- 25g - butter
- 50g - soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp - milk
- 180g - butter, room temperature
- 180g - caster sugar
- 3 - large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp - milk
- 1 1/2 tsp - vanilla extract
- 180g - plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp - baking powder
- 1/2 tsp - salt
- Lightly grease and flour a 9" round springform cake tin and line base with a circle of baking parchment.
- Slice apples and plums thinly and set aside.
- Melt 25g of butter and 50g of soft brown sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar is starting to dissolve. Add 1 tbsp milk and cook until mixture is bubbling and homogenous. Pour into cake tin and cool slightly.
- Arrange Pink Lady® apple slices and plum slices over base, starting at the centre and working outwards (remembering that the design will be upside down).
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Using a fork, mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Beat 180g butter and 180g caster sugar together in a large bowl with a hand mixer, until light and fluffy - this will take 4 - 5 minutes. Add in one egg at a time, beating well between each addition to ensure that the egg is incorporated into the butter mixture. Using a spatula, gently fold in 1/2 of the flour mixture. Stir in 2 tbsp of milk and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Gently fold in remaining flour mixture.
- Using a dessert spoon, gently dollop batter into the cake tin, being careful not to disturb fruit arrangement. Level batter using the back of the spoon.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 - 40 minutes. Test for doneness at 30 minutes, using a toothpick - if the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Cool the apple and plum cake slightly in the tin, then using a thin knife, ensure cake isn't sticking to the sides. Open the springform tin and remove the sides. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and remove the base of the tin. Gently pull off the parchment paper to reveal the caramel and cooked fruit.