15-20 mins to prepare
1 hour to cook
- 2 - Large egg whites
- 1 - Pinch of salt
- 110g - Caster sugar
- 4 - Apples each cut into 8 wedges, cored and sliced into 5mm pieces
- 100g - Caster sugar
- 100ml - Water
- 1 - Softly whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3/160C/fan oven 150.
- Put the eggs whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt and whisk until soft peaks form when the whisks are lifted. Add the sugar a few tablespoons at a time whisking well between each addition until stiff and glossy.
- Put a small blob of meringue at each corner of the oven tray to secure the paper. Put 4 mounds of meringue on the paper and using the back of a spoon push into an approximately 10cm circle making a slight indent in the centre.
- Bake for 10 minutes, lower oven to Gas mark 1/4/100C/fan oven 100 and bake for 1 hour until they lift off the tray easily. Cool on a wire track and store in an airtight container.
- Meanwhile to make the sorbet and poached apples, put the apple slices in a large pan with the sugar and water. Cook covered on a medium heat for 10 minutes until soft.
- Remove 24 apple slices, put in a bowl and reserve.
- Tip the rest of the apples into a processer and blitz to a puree. Freeze the puree overnight. Blitz again in the processor until smooth and paler and refreeze for a minimum of 4 hours.
- To serve spoon some softly whipped cream over each meringue and top with the reserved apple slices and add a scoop of sorbet.