30 mins to prepare
1 hour and 30 mins to cook
- 4 - Pink Lady apples
- 250g - Butter
- 160mls - Apple juice
- 50g - Demarara sugar
- 150mls - Muscat wine
- 150g - Black or red grapes
- 125g - Fresh rasberries
- 100g - Ground almonds
- 150g - Icing sugar
- 80g - Plain flour
- 1 - Teaspoon baking powder
- 7 - Egg whites
- 100g - Butter
- 3 - Tablespoons of honey
- Madeleines: Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 5. Butter 24 madeleine moulds. Melt the honey with the butter and allow to cool.
- Add the ground almonds icing sugar, flour and baking powder to a large bowl and mix well. Add the egg whites to the dry mixture and then pour in the honey and butter mixture. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared moulds and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Turn them out of the moulds to cool before serving.
- Apples: pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6. Cut the apples in half across the middle, then carefully core them. Slice the halves into thinner slices.
- Melt the butter and then arrange the apples in a ring, in a large baking tray; sprinkle the spiced sugar between each layer as well as the melted butter.
- Remove the rings and pour the apple juice over the apple stacks.
- Cook for 1 hour until the apples are soft and caramelised. (You can cook these in a slow oven, 150C/300F/gas mark 4, for up to 3 hours too.)
- As soon as the apples are cooked, take them out and deglaze the pan on top of the hob with the wine – add the grapes and cook until the sauce has thickened and is caramelised.
- To serve: place one apple stack in the middle of each serving plate and then pour the wine and caramel sauce over and around the apples. Arrange the fresh raspberries around the edge and serve with honey madeleines and ice cream.