20 mins to prepare
1 hour, 10 mins to cook
- 200g - Skinless hazelnuts
- 200g - Butter at room temperature
- 200g - Caster sugar
- 3 - Medium eggs
- 4 - Tablespoon yogurt
- 200g - Self raising flour
- 1/2 - Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 - Pink Lady® apples cored and cut into thin slices (each ½ into 16)
- 1 - Tablespoon icing sugar sifted
- 75g - Butter
- 75g - Soft light brown sugar
- 3 - Tablespoon double cream
- 85g - Hazelnuts roughly crushed
- 1/2 - Pink Lady® apple cored and sliced into thin wedges
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180C/fan oven 160C. Lightly grease a square loose bottomed 20x7.5 cm cake tin and fully line with baking parchment.
- Finely grind the hazelnuts in a mini processor. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together with a wooden spoon. Whisk in the eggs and yoghurt until fluffy. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold in with the ground hazelnuts.
- Fold in the sliced apples and spread the mixture evenly into the tin. Sift over the icing sugar. Put the tin on a baking tray and cook for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping. Put the butter, sugar and cream into a small pan and melt together. Stir in the nuts and fold in the apple.
- Spread the mixture over the cake when it has cooked and put back in the oven to bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Put the tin on a wire rack to cool. When still warm lift out of the tin and serve warm or cold.