30 mins to prepare
20 mins to cook
- 1 - Tablespoon good quality vanilla extract
- 300ml - Double cream
- 200ml - Whole milk
- 125g - Caster sugar
- 5 - Egg yolks
- 2 - 2 Large or Pink Lady® apples, cored & finely chopped
- 1/2 - Juice of a lemon
- 1 - Tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 - Tablespoon mixed spice
- 5 - Tablespoon toffee caramel sauce (dulce de leche) or caramelised condensed milk
- 50g - Butter, cut into little cubes
- 40g - Self raising flour
- 40g - Rolled oats
- 1 - Tablespoon mixed spice
- Begin by making the custard base for the ice cream. Into a heavy based saucepan add the cream, milk and vanilla extract and bring gently up to a simmer.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the caster sugar and egg yolks until well combined. Pour over the hot milk, stirring constantly until completely mixed. Wash and dry the pan then pour the uncooked custard back in. Set over a low heat and cooking, stirring almost constantly to dissipate the heat evenly, until the custard thickens to the consistency of double cream. This will take 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the cooked custard into a wide shallow bowl to speed up cooling and press a layer of cling film down on the surface to prevent a skin forming.
- Top it off