30 mins to prepare
1 hour to cook
- 4 - Free range egg whites
- 125g - Light brown muscovado sugar
- 125g - Caster sugar
- 1 - Tablespoon cornflour
- 1 - Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 150ml - Red wine
- 1 - Orange, zest and juice
- 25g - Light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 - Cinnamon stick
- 1 - Pink Lady® apple, cored and sliced
- 150g - Blackberries
- 300ml - Double cream
- Pre-heat oven to 150C/140C fan/gas mark 2. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment, draw a 20cm circle using a dinner plate.
- Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl and whisk until standing in soft peaks, gradually add both the sugars followed by the cornflour and vinegar.
- Place the beaten egg white mixture in the middle of the circle and spread out making a little dip in the middle. Cook for 1 hour then turn the oven off and leave the meringue to cool in the oven.
- Whilst the meringue is cooking make the fruit topping to allow time for it to cool before assembly.
- Place the red wine, orange juice and zest, sugar and cinnamon stick into a saucepan, bring to the boil allow to bubble away for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the Pink Lady® apples. Cover and allow to poach gently until soft but still with a little bite, approximately 15 minutes. Add the blackberries and take off the heat. Cover the pan and leave to cool.
- When ready to assemble whip the cream until standing in soft peaks. Carefully place the pavlova on a serving plate, don’t worry if it cracks a little, then spoon the cream into the centre of the meringue. Drain and pat the fruit dry, reserving the liquid, and arrange the fruit over the pavlova.
- Boil the reserved juices until reduced and syrupy, allow to cool then spoon over the pavlova.