20 mins to prepare
30 mins to cook
- 1 - A large bunch of coriander
- 1 - Lemongrass stalks
- 2-3cm - Piece of fresh root ginger, chopped
- 1 - Fat clove garlic, crushed
- 1-3 - Red bird's eye chillies, roughly chopped (to taste)
- 2 - Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 - Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 - Juice and zest of limes
- 1 - Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 - Large chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
- 250g - Brown rice
- 2/3 - Medium Pink Lady® apples, cored and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 - Ripe mango, flesh chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 - Tablespoon salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Trim the coriander by removing the very ends of the stalks. Remove a handful of leaves and set aside for a garnish. Roughly chop the rest of the leaves and stalks and add to a food processor. Trim the lemongrass by removing the tough outer leaves and then roughly chop the inner stem and add to the processor, along with the shallots to the food processor, along with the ginger, garlic, chillies, fish sauce, sesame oil, lime juice and zest. Season with a little salt and pepper and process until smooth. Stop the motor to push the paste down the bowl once or twice to ensure it is evenly processed.
- Make 3 or 4 deep slashes through each chicken breast to allow the marinade to penetrate more easily, taking care not to cut all the way through. Spoon half of the coriander paste onto the chicken and spread all over, rubbing it in well. Set aside on a plate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is marinating, cook the rice according to the packet instructions (it should take around 25 minutes in boiling water.) Drain well and stir through the remaining coriander paste whilst it is still warm.
- Lay the chicken breasts in a food steamer and cover with a lid. Steam gently for about 12 minutes until cooked all the way through – use a sharp knife to cut each breast at the thickest point to check there is no pink and cook for a further minute or two if necessary.
- Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes before shredding into bite sized pieces. Stir through the rice along with the apple and the mango. Pile onto a serving dish and scatter over the peanuts, if using, and garnish with the reserved coriander leaves. Serve whilst still warm or cool and chill in the fridge until you are ready to eat. Best eaten within 24 hours of making.