1 x 1 litre Kilner or Mason jar, or 2 x 500ml Kilner or Mason jars, with rubber seals or lids
Festive ribbon and/or string
Gift or luggage tag
Holly sprig, Christmas straw decoration or wired florist’s pine cone to decorate the jar
*How to dry Pink Lady® Apples:
Using a dehydrator – remove the Pink Lady® sticker from each apple, slice the apples thinly without peeling or coring, and dip them into a bowl of lemon water, made with 1 litre of cold water and the juice of 2 lemons; allow to soak for 3 to 5 minutes, then remove the apple slices and dry them thoroughly. Lay them out in a single layer in the dehydrator racks, set the temperature and timer to 70C/150F for 4 hours. After 4 hours, check the apples, they should be dry, and feel leathery but not too hard. Allow to cool and store in an airtight tin until needed.
Using a conventional oven - prepare the apples as above, and set them on to lined baking trays, and allow to dry for up to 6 hours in the oven on 70C/150F. Check them after 4 hours. Allow to cool and store in an airtight tin until needed.
Gift tag ingredients and instructions:
1 large free range egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
60g melted unsalted butter
30 mins to prepare
6.25 hrs (including drying apples) to cook
Serves 12-14 biscuits
- 150g - SR flour mixed with ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tsps - Ground cinnamon
- 100g - Jumbo oats
- 3 - Dried Pink Lady® apple slices, chopped*
- 75g - Dried cranberries
- 112g - Soft brown sugar
- To make the recipe jar - carefully layer all the ingredients in order of list above, gently pushing down to fit into jar if too loose – the layers should be firm but still clearly discernible; or if using 2 jars, divide the above ingredients between the jars in order of list.
- Seal the jar and add festive ribbon and/or string around the neck, in which the gift tag with the baking instructions is added.
- Decorate with a sprig holly, Christmas straw decorations or a wired pine cone, as shown in the photos.
- To make the biscuits, pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 5. Line a baking sheet with grease proof baking paper/parchment. Empty entire jar ingredients into bowl and add the beaten egg and melted butter.
- Mix well until you have a stiff dropping consistency (add milk if too dry); drop small balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Flatten them with the back of a spoon slightly and bake in pre-heated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- The biscuits should have a golden brown crust when they are ready, but still have a slightly soft centre. Makes 12 to 14 biscuits.