10 mins to prepare
20 mins to cook
- 125g - Plain flour
- 2 tsp - Baking powder
- 2 tsp - Ground mixed spice
- 1 tbsp - Ground cinnamon
- 2 - Large eggs
- 125g - Unsalted butter, melted
- 60g - Caster sugar
- 175ml - Milk
- 1 - Pack natural cooked beetroot, grated coarsely
- 2 - Pink Lady® apples, cored & grated coarsely
- 75g - Self raising flour
- 1 tbsp - Ground mixed spice
- 40g - Unsalted butter, cut into little cubes
- 75g - Demerara sugar
- 75g - Blanched hazelnuts, rough chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sugar and milk.
- Pour into the flour and mix very lightly – don’t worry if it looks lumpy. Finally, gently fold through the grated beetroot and apple and spoon into the muffin cases.
- To make the topping, stir the mixed spice through the flour, then add the butter, sugar and nuts.
- Rub between finger and thumb until crumbly and well mixed. Sprinkle evenly over the muffin.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.