20 mins to prepare
20 mins to cook
- 2 cups - Sugar
- 1 tube - Liquid glucose
- 3 or 4 cups - Water
- 1 tube - Black food colouring gel
- 6 - PinKids® apples
- 6 - Strong twigs cut from a tree and dried out on a radiator or 3 pairs of chopsticks
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Insert the sticks into the apples at the stalk end.
- Place the sugar, water and glucose in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil without stirring and cook until it reaches the hard crack stage at 150C.
- When it gets to soft crack 135C, add a black food colouring, I found I needed to add quite a bit to get the colour right.
- When the sugar mixture has reached temperature quickly dip the apples into the mixture.
- Let the excess drip of and place on the lined baking tray to set.
- If the mixture starts to cool during dipping put back on the heat and re heat.
- Leave to set and cool for 20 minutes.