15 minutes to prepare
20 minutes to cook
- 300ml - Full fat milk
- 50g - Unsalted butter
- 500g - Sieved strong bread flour
- 10g - Caster sugar
- 10g - Fast acting yeast
- 1 - Beaten egg
- 1tsp - Salt
- 100g - Finely chopped dark chocolate
- 1 - Zest of an orange
- 1 - Cored and finely chopped Pink Lady® apple
- . - Vegetable oil for bowl
- 80g – sieved plain flour - (For the cross)
- 20ml - milk - (For the glaze)
- 8 tbsp –honey - (For the glaze)
- Heat the milk in a pan and bring to the boil. When boiling, take off the heat and add the butter to melt. Leave to cool until warm but not hot.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the strong bread flour, caster sugar, salt and yeast. Make a well in the centre of the mix and slowly pour in your warm milk/butter and egg, combining the flour mixture to create a paste, keep going until it all comes together to form a dough. You can use a fork or your hand for this.
- With your formed dough, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes to create a smooth elastic dough that should spring back when you press it.
- Put the kneaded dough into a clean well-oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave in a warm dry place until doubled in size, which should roughly take an hour.
- Once your dough has risen add your chocolate, apple and orange zest and knead through to fully combine.
- The mixture should weigh about 1.08 kg, if you divide it by 12 each bun should weigh about 90g.
- Form each bun into a neat round shape and place onto a lined baking tray, leaving space for each bun to grow. Lightly score a cross into each bun.
- Cover with oiled cling film or a clean t towel and leave to grow for another hour.
- Once risen, glaze the buns with some milk.
- To make the cross, slowly mix about 8 tbsp of water to the plain flour until you have a paste that you can pipe. Put into a piping bag or a freezer bag and snip the corner. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Put into a preheated oven 200c fan/gas 7 for 20 minutes.
- Once your buns are baked, place onto a cooling rack.
- Heat the honey and brush onto the buns to glaze.