20 mins to prepare
2 1/2 hours to cook
- 1 - Whole oven-ready duck with giblets
- 1 - Bay leaves, rosemary and thyme
- 4 - Pink Lady® apples
- 2 - Carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 - Onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 125ml - Red wine
- 1 - Sundried tomato paste
- 8 - Baby carrots
- 4 - Shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 500g - Chanterelles
- 8 - Fresh figs, cut into quarters
- 2 - Tablespoons honey
- 1 - Olive oil
- 1 - Butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas mark 4. Season the duck with sea salt.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large roasting tin on top of the hob and add the duck to the tin; brown it all over and then stuff the cavity with the bay leaves, rosemary and thyme. Roast in pre-heated oven for 2 hours, basting regularly.
- Cut the apples in half, core them, and gently fry them for a few minutes in some olive oil before adding them to the roast duck; roast them alongside the duck for 2 hours.
- Sauce: heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and then add the duck giblets – add the chopped onions and carrots and fry over a high heat until the vegetables are brown. Add 50g of butter and fry until caramelised before adding the sun-dried tomato paste and red wine. Reduce the liquid until there is just a tablespoon or so left before adding enough water to just cover the gibbets and vegetables. Simmer gently for 1 hour and then strain the sauce through a sieve. Set the sauce to one side.
- Prepare the baby carrots: Peel the carrots and add the chopped shallots to a frying pan with a little olive oil, sweat them for 5 to 6 minutes. Add water and salt, cover and cook until the carrots are cooked.
- Prepare the mushrooms: Clean the mushrooms thoroughly in fresh water until there is no sand or soil left on them. Pan fry them in a little olive oil.
- Finish the sauce: Put the honey into a frying pan and add the figs and duck sauce reduction; cook until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- To finish the dish and serve: take the duck out of the oven 10 to 15 minutes before serving, cut it into portions and divide the portions between four plates. Place 2 halves of roasted Pink Lady apples on each plate along with a spoonful of carrots and chanterelles mushrooms. Pour the fig sauce over and around the duck and apple and serve straight away. (This dish is wonderful with bulgur wheat and aubergine purée).